Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a salad I developed by combining my favorite parts of other recipes. It has become the taste of summer for me, and my friends/family love it as well. The tarragon is essential, as is the light Miracle Whip. Making substitutions or deleting these ingredients result in a completely different recipe.
- 16 ounces orzo pasta or 16 ounces rosamarina pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) bag frozen asparagus, thawed and drained (or use an equal amount of fresh, sliced and steamed until crisp but tender)
- 12 ounces cooked cleaned shrimp (cut in thirds, if large)
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sweet pickles or 1⁄4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 cups Miracle Whip light (don't substitute)
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated romano cheese
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Mix Miracle Whip, lemon juice, tarragon, pickles, and cheese in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix very well.
- Cover and chill well before serving.
- Garnish with quartered cherry tomatoes and sprinkle with additional grated romano cheese.
- NOTES: This is also good using chicken instead of shrimp, and broccoli or pea pods instead of asparagus (cheaper, too!).
- The amounts for the Miracle Whip, onions, celery, carrots, and tarragon can be adjusted.
- The amounts given suit my taste.
- When I make this the day before serving, I always add additional Miracle Whip before garnishing and serving.
- Cooking time is chill time.
- This actually serves between 4-10, depending on whether it's a side dish or main dish and how much other food is being served.