From "365 Ways to Cook Pasta": The flavorings in this pudding are easily varied: add grated lemon or orange zest; use lemon extract instead of vanilla; add 2 tbsp raisins, dries currants, minced candied orange or minced dried apricots. This is a rich and creamy dessert or breakfast dish. Serve with chilled heavy cream over the top, if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the milk and sugar in a small heavy saucepan.
- 2Scald milk, stirring, over medium-low heat.
- 3Stir in orzo.
- 4Cook,stirring frequently and adjusting the heat to prevent milk from boiling over, until mixture is very thick and orzo tender to the bite, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 5Off heat, stir in the vanilla.
- 6Pour mixture into a large bowl or 4 individual custard cups.
- 7Cool slightly.
- 8Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orzo Saucepan Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.5
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 29.8 mg
- Sodium 105.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 17.0 g
- Protein 9.7 g