Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From "365 Ways to Cook Pasta": The flavorings in this pudding are easily varied: add grated lemon or orange zest; use lemon extract instead of vanilla; add 2 tbsp raisins, dries currants, minced candied orange or minced dried apricots. This is a rich and creamy dessert or breakfast dish. Serve with chilled heavy cream over the top, if desired.
- Combine the milk and sugar in a small heavy saucepan.
- Scald milk, stirring, over medium-low heat.
- Stir in orzo.
- Cook,stirring frequently and adjusting the heat to prevent milk from boiling over, until mixture is very thick and orzo tender to the bite, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in the vanilla.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl or 4 individual custard cups.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.