Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Great for summer BBQs, family reunions and such.
Top Review by Janis L.
Never fail recipe - everybody always goes back for seconds. I used to make it in a glass bowl and layered the ingredients because it just looked so darn pretty. But, by the time the third person dug in it didn'tlook gorgeous anymore, so now I just dump everything in the bowl and toss it. Definitely needs to sit overnight to soften and blend the flavors.
- 1 lb orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 carrots, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 3⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1⁄2 cup rice vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make dressing: add all dressing ingredients to the container of an electric blender; process until smooth; set aside.
- Cook the orzo in boiling salted water to cover for about 8 minutes or until tender; drain, rinse, and drain again.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the orzo and 1 tablespoon sesame oil.
- Spoon half the orzo mixture into a large glass serving bowl; spread evenly.
- Top with half the carrot strips, raisins, and sunflower kernels.
- Repeat layers.
- Drizzle 1 cup Sesame Dressing over the top.
- Sprinkle the parsley and green onion evenly over the top.
- Serve with the remaining Sesame Dressing.