Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the Equal Exchange website, contributed by Brian Albert, Director of Finance for Equal Exchange, this salad is full of healthy goodness and a variety of textures and flavors. I haven't tried this yet, posted for safe keeping. I think this might be good with a raspberry vinegar as an option. NOTE: recipe states 1/2 box of orzo -- I'm assuming a 1-pound box, so 8 ounces would be half. Serving size is estimated.
- 8 ounces orzo pasta (1/2 box)
- 3⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 medium carrots, fine dice
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (optional)
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, thinly sliced (about 2-3 scallions)
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- finely chopped fresh basil leaves or 3 -5 cucumbers, slices
- In a small pan, bring water to boil.
- Stir in orzo and cook until just tender, then drain.
- Combine the warm orzo, cranberries, carrots and cucumber in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, oil, mustard and honey (and optional thyme if using).
- Pour over orzo mixture and stir to coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Stir in scallions and pecans just before serving.
- Garnish with basil or extra cucumber slices.
So incredible!!! And easy to make! I have made this for two different parties and it is always scarfed down. Very successful and very beautiful dish. Goes great with a pinot grigio
Fantastic pasta salad, I made it just as directed and served it as a nice cool summer side dish for chicken. Made for Football Pool Tag. This recipe is a keeper FN, thanks for posting it!
Made this recipe pretty much as indicated, but I did use very rounded measures of both the cranberries & the toasted pecans (& also included the thyme), with the finished salad being enough for 4 of us! A great tasting, very nicely presented salad for the holidays! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Please Review My Recipe tag]