Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
You can assemble this colorful salad up to dressing one day ahead; cover and chill. For a shortcut, you can use 3 cups of frozen corn kernels; thawed, instead of the fresh corn. Eileen's recipe.
- 1 lb green beans
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 3 ears fresh corn
- 1⁄2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh tarragon or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, rinsed stemmed, and cut in half
- In a 5-6 quart pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Meanwhile, rinse green beans, trim off ends, and pull off any strings. Cut into 2-3 inch lengths. Add beans to boiling water and cook until barely tender to bite, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and immerse in ice water until cold; drain well.
- Fill same pan with 3 quarts water and bring to boil over high heat. Add orzo and cook until barely tender, 8-11 minute Drain and rinse with cold water, drain well.
- Husk corn, Hold each ear upright, cut off kernels close to the cob.
- To make dressing; In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, olive oil, shallots, mustard, tarragon and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large, wide bowl, mix orzo with 1/2 Celsius of the dressing. Add more salt and pepper to taste. Spread level. Layer corn kernels, green beans, and tomatoes over pasta. Pour remaining dressing into a container. Cover and chill both the salad and dressing until ready to serve.
- Shortly before serving, pour 3/4 of the remaining dressing over salad and mix gently to blend. Add more dressing and salt and pepper to taste.