1/1 Photo of Orzo Salad With Basil-Sherry Vinaigrette
It may not be summer here yet but it certainly feels like it w/ temperatures in the upper 80s already. I've not tried this recipe YET but it sounds delicious and I love salads in warmer weather. Posting so I can find this recipe from Paulette Mitchell; prep time is a guess-timate and does not include time to allow salad to cool or to chill in the frig.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Basil-Sherry Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sweet cream sherry
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
For the Orzo Salad
- 1To make Basil-Sherry Vinaigrette:.
- 2Whisk together the oil, sherry, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- 3Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- 4Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- 5Refrigerate in a covered container for up to 4 days.
- 6Whisk or shake before serving.
- 7To make the orzo salad:.
- 8Place the ear of corn on a microwaveable dish covered loosely with waxed paper. Microwave on high until hot, about 2 minutes. (If using frozen corn, cook according to package instructions. Drain well.) Set aside to cool.
- 9Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain well. Rinse with cool water; drain again.
- 10When the corn has cooled, cut the kernels off the cob. (It's best to cut or break the ear in half. On a cutting board, hold the cob upright. Using a sharp knife, slide the blade downwards, letting the kernels fall on the board, rotating the cob a quarter turn at a time until all the kernels are removed.).
- 11In a medium bowl, toss together the pasta, corn, and tomatoes. Add ¼ cup of the vinaigrette and toss again.
- 12Refrigerate the salad and the remaining vinaigrette in separate covered containers for at least 2 hours or for up to 2 days. Serve the salad chilled or at room temperature.
- 13Toss salad with an additional 1/4 c vinaigrette just before serving. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- 14Spoon the salad onto lettuce-lined salad plates and garnish with basil sprigs.
- 15Do as the Italians do and include this dish among an assortment of antipasti. Or you can serve it as a light lunch or as an out-of-the-ordinary accompaniment to grilled fish or chicken.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orzo Salad With Basil-Sherry Vinaigrette
Serving Size: 1 (129 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.4
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 154.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 5.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: