Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I pulled this out of Bitteman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian and now I make it at least once a month
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped ripe tomatoes
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup black olives, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh parsley, stemmed and chopped (or a mix of fresh herbs like basil, parsley, mint or oregano)
- 1⁄2 cup grated aged feta cheese (firm)
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for the pasta. Drop in the orzo and cook until tender, then rinse in a colander under cold running water. Transfer the cooked and cooled orzo to a large mixing bowl.
- Dress the orzo with the olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and toss it to coat the pasta. Taste and add more acid or salt as necessary.
- Add the tomato, scallions, olives, and parsley to the dressed orzo; toss them through once or twice. If possible, let the salad rest at room temperature for an hour before serving. Just before serving, sprinkle the grated cheese over the salad.
ooo finally an orzo recipe without yucky garbanzo beans...Only change was balsamic for the lemon was out of lemon....I really liked it ..thanks...oh and used mixed herbs