Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Best of Gourmet. This uses orzo pasta instead of the traditional rice. Quick and easy.
- 1 (1 lb) box orzo pasta
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme, finely chopped
- 2 ounces parmigiana parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook orzo in a large pot of boiling salted water until barely al dente, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under cold water to stop cooking.
- Transfer orzo to a 2 quart heavy saucepan and add stock, zest, thyme. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring constantly until stock is absorbed about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, butter, salt and pepper and serve immediately.
This is a delicious recipe and very easy recipe. Plus I was able to use whole wheat orzo in the recipe. I served it with shrimp and peas.
I really like orzo and risotto. This is so good. Another time I will try with cheddar cheese or a tasty cheese. Thanks Mary :) Made for Newest Zaar tag
Yumm, a very tasty side dish made with things that I usually keep on hand. There is no end of the things that you could pair this. It would also make a great base to be used like a hamburger helper. Just make this recipe and add cooked chopped chicken with a vegetable for instance. Thanks very much Mary for a great tasting dish with so many possibility's. Made for Photo Tag.