Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Have everything ready ahead of time because this goes quickly once you start cooking! From Southern Living.
- 3 quarts water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 lb fresh asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon margarine or 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper, ground
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional)
- Combine water and salt in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil.
- Add orzo and cook 5 minutes.
- Add asparagus and cook 4 more minutes.
- Drain and set aside in a large serving bowl.
- Cook garlic and bell pepper in margarine and oil in Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until crisp-tender.
- Keep stirring, and add peas; cook another minute. Add broth, lemon rind, and white pepper; bring to a boil and cook one minute.
- Add vegetable mixture to orzo and asparagus; toss and top with parmesan cheese.
Very tasty & has all my favorite ingredients. I didn't have lemon rind so I used lemon pepper instead (& omitted white pepper) and it worked great. I started buying fresh parmesan & it makes a hugh difference in these type of recipes. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful, we really enjoyed this. We had neighbors over for dinner and this was a big hit...I used frozen asparagus with no problems....squirted a little lemon juice in also with lemon pepper and it was yummy...
This is delicious. I used frozen asparagus, which worked out fine. Also, I skipped the parmesan...definitely does not need it. There is plenty of good taste and flavor without it.