Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 1⁄2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes (1/2 of a 3 oz. package)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 red onions or 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water, reserved from sun dried tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons chicken base or 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil (optional)
- cooking spray
- If sun dried tomatoes are not ready to eat and must be reconstituted, bring 1 cup water to boil and remove from heat.
- Pour boiling water over dried tomatoes and soak for 10 minutes.
- Remove tomatoes from water, saving 1/2 cup of the liquid.
- Cut tomatoes into thin strips and set aside.
- (If tomatoes are ready to eat set aside 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup white dry wine.) Cook orzo in 6 to 8 cups boiling water for 12 to 14 minutes, until al dente.
- Drain and rinse orzo and set aside.
- Pour a 1/4 cup of reserved tomato water, water or wine into a separate glass container and heat in microwave for about 1 minute.
- Stir bouillon, saffron and olive oil into hot liquid and set aside.
- Spray a large non-stick or stick-resistant pan lightly with cooking spray and preheat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add onions and garlic to pan and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes continuing to sauté until onions become translucent.
- If necessary, during cooking add small amounts of remaining water or wine to vegetable mixture to keep it from drying out.
- Add orzo to tomato and onion mixture a third at a time, so that pasta separates and mixes with vegetables.
- Add saffron liquid to pasta, mixing all ingredients together.
- Stirring frequently, continue to cook a few minutes more until heated through.
- Remove orzo from heat and serve or cover until ready to serve.