This is a delicious and very different pasta dish, inspired by the African cuisine. Created by chef Keith Famie.
- 1⁄2 cup dired porcini mushroom
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon ground annatto seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh peas, blanched
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, julienned
- 2 cups orzo pasta, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup manchego cheese, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- Soak the mushrooms in warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and discard the liquid.
- Heat a saute pan over medium heat. Add the cream and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the annatto powder and sage. Continue to simmer the cream sauce for another 2 minutes. Season the annatto-sage cream sauce with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
- In a different saute pan over medium heat, saute the drained mushrooms in the butter until golden brown and tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the blanched peas, sundried tomatoes and orzo to the pan. Toss all the ingredients until hot. Stir in the annatto-sage cream and the grated cheese. Stir in the chopped parsley. Serve!