Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
The orzo has its own distinct texture and flavor. I enjoy making it and eating it and of course pairing it with favorite foods. I didn't include cooking time for orzo, do so according to package directions,
- 1 cup orzo pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary or 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons dried cherries
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Prepare orzo as directed on package.
- Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile melt butter in 10" skillet until sizzling; add onion and rosemary.
- Cook over medium-high heat until onion is softened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add almonds, raisins, cherries, and salt.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasinally, until almonds are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir cooked onion mixture into hot orzo.
- Serve immediately.
- *To prepare this dish ahead, cook the orzo as directed. Drain well; toss with 1/2 teaspoon oil. Spoon into resealable plastic bag and refrigerate up to a day ahead. Just before serving, cook butter, onion, rosemary, nuts, raisins, cherries and salt. Meanwhile, warm the orzo in the microwave or in a saucpean, stir in onion mixture.
- **You can find pre-packaged dried fruit mixtures by the dried fruit in the baking section of your supermarket.