Recipe by Gay Gilmore
This was one of my favorite side dishes served at our wedding. I plan to make it a lot. Pistachios and grapes are such a surprise in pasta salad but we love it!
Top Review by DDW
I loved this salad - great blend of flavors. I was able to buy shelled pistachios so it was a breeze to make. It was made early in the morning so it sat for about 12 hours before eating. It was very well received at the party we took it to. I added more grapes and did the rest as is. One batch makes a large bowl so I feel it makes a lot more than 6 servings. I think some roasted chicken shredded and put in this salad could turn it into a main course pretty easily. Thanks so much for sharing Gay!
- 1 lb orzo pasta
- 2 cups red grapes
- 2 cups pistachios, shelled and toasted
- 1 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup walnut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast pistachios: Take 1 cup of pistachios and put in a saucepan with the walnut oil.
- Warm the oil and nuts together, be careful not to boil.
- Saute garlic in a little olive oil.
- Prepare orzo from package instructions.
- When orzo has been drained, mix in enough of the pistachio/walnut oil mixture to coat the pasta.
- Add lemon juice to taste.
- Mix in sauteed garlic.
- Add grapes, and half the basil.
- Chill for several hours, or overnight.
- Before serving, add rest of basil, salt and pepper to taste, and the rest of the pistachios.