Recipe by jbrock609
This is a great fruit salad for a get toghether
Top Review by San Marcos Sunshine
Perfect! A "Frog Eye" salad with no added sugar and no cooking other than the pasta. I often make the traditional recipe for large groups and find it's a kid pleaser that adults love. I subbed acini di pepe for the orzo -- couldn't find cheesecake pudding so had to sub french vanilla. Recipe adapts well to other canned, fresh or frozen fruits (especially grapes) but stick to the crushed pineapple and mandarin oranges. I also find 1/2 tub of Cool Whip is ample. Recipe makes a huge amount, but it will hold a day in the fridge, so don't try to reduce it. (I add the marshmallows & coconut at serving time so they don't get mushy.) Great time saver recipe every bit as good as the "classic". Thanks so much!
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package cheesecake flavor instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup canned sliced peach, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, drained and quartered
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the pudding mix, sour cream and pineapple. Stir in pudding mixture. Stir in the oranges, marshmallows, peaches, cherries and orzo. Fold in whipped topping. Sprinkle with coconut. cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until chilled.