Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
We like this healthy salad best freshly made and at room temperature but the filling can be made and refrigerated 2 days ahead and served cold.
- 4 ounces orzo pasta
- 3 slices lemon zest (colored part of the rind)
- 2 cups cooked kernel corn
- 1 cup diced low-fat swiss cheese (about 4 oz) or 1 cup monterey jack cheese (about 4 oz)
- 2 green onions, including tops, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- Bring a large saucepan of unsalted water to a boil. Add the orzo and lemon zest and cook for about 8 minutes or until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite. Drain well and rinse in cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well and discard the lemon zest.
- In a large bowl, combine the orzo, corn, cheese, green onions, celery, apple juice, lemon juice, oil, salt and red pepper sauce.
- Trim the bottoms of the tomatoes so they stand upright. Cut off the tops and remove the cores. Dice the tomato trimmings and add them to the corn salad. Scoop out the tomato pulp and discard. Invert the tomatoes onto a plate lined with paper toweling and let drain.
- Fill the hollow of each tomato with about 1/2 cup of the corn mixture. To serve, line your platter (or individual salad plates) with a bit of lettuce place a tomato in the center and use the leftover corn salad to made a ring around the base of the tomato.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.