Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe comes from Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic cooking.
Make and share this Orzo-Broccoli Pilaf recipe from Food.com.
- In a large saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook and stir the mushrooms and onion until onion is tender.
- Stir in orzo.
- Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until orzo is lightly browned.
- Remove from heat.
- Carefully stir in chicken broth, carrot, marjoram, and pepper.
- Bring to boiling: reduce heat.
- Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until orzo is tender but still firm.
- Remove saucepan from heat: stir in broccoli.
- Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
Very tasty and simple dish to prepare. Browning the orzo first gives it a wonderful flavor! I omitted the carrots, and cut the brocolli florets into small pieces since I thought it would be easier to scoop up with the orzo. I zapped them in the microwave for a few minutes to soften them before adding them to the rest of the dish. I also left out the marjoram, and added a bit of Paul Prudhomme's "Vegetable Magic" to give it a zesty zing. I served it with seared tuna. Perfect!
great recipe. i used salted water with seasonings instead of chicken broth. and added the broccoli about halfway through. <br/>it was delicious.<br/>thanks for posting this!
This was just OK for us. I followed the recipe exactly as written. Everyone tried it but no one was thrilled with it.