Chef #396380's Note:
Tasty and versatile side dish and leftovers are great hot or cold.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 ounces julienne-shredded fresh spinach
- 1/2 small julienne-cut radicchio
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, julienne cut
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons sliced nicoise olives
- 4 ounces orzo pasta, cooked al dente and drained (1/2 box of Barilla)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup small lemon, juice and zest of, if not using Meyer lemons you might need less juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, not extra virgin
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- 2Heat the olive oil.
- 3Add the garlic and give it a few tosses.don't let the garlic brown.
- 4Add the zest and lemon juice.
- 5Toss in the spinach and radicchio and cook until just wilted.
- 6Remove from heat and add the orzo and the rest of the ingredients except the cheese.
- 7Toss and fluff.
- 8Now is the time to taste for salt (remember the cheese will add salt as well).
- 9Sprinkle with cheese to coat.
- 10Garnish with a sweep of parsley.
- 11Serve with crusty bread and extra bowls of parmesan.
- 12You can add shrimp or julienned chicken breast.
- 13White wine can be subbed for lemon juice.
- 14This is also great chilled and served as a salad or on a round of Hye Roller spread with herbed cream cheese and rolled then sliced into spirals. Also good in a hollowed out crusty roll layered with a vinaigrette,Fontina or favorite cheese,sliced tomato,ham,turkey,salami,capicola,mortadella etc. for a quasi-Muffaletta.
- 15You can also toss the leftovers in with some chicken stock,stewed tomatoes,white wine,basil,cabbage,carrots,and more spinach. Garnish with parmesan croustades for a sort of spin on Ribollita.
- 1615 mn. prep includes cooking and draining the orzo.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orzo and Spinach Sort of Romano's Macaroni Grill Style
Serving Size: 1 (70 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.5
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 7.3 mg
- Sodium 306.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, juice and zest of