Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
Tasty and versatile side dish and leftovers are great hot or cold.
Make and share this Orzo and Spinach Sort of Romano's Macaroni Grill Style recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces julienne-shredded fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 small julienne-cut radicchio
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, julienne cut
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons sliced nicoise olives
- 4 ounces orzo pasta, cooked al dente and drained (1/2 box of Barilla)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup small lemon, juice and zest of, if not using Meyer lemons you might need less juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, not extra virgin
- 1⁄3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- Heat the olive oil.
- Add the garlic and give it a few tosses.don't let the garlic brown.
- Add the zest and lemon juice.
- Toss in the spinach and radicchio and cook until just wilted.
- Remove from heat and add the orzo and the rest of the ingredients except the cheese.
- Toss and fluff.
- Now is the time to taste for salt (remember the cheese will add salt as well).
- Sprinkle with cheese to coat.
- Garnish with a sweep of parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread and extra bowls of parmesan.
- You can add shrimp or julienned chicken breast.
- White wine can be subbed for lemon juice.
- This is also great chilled and served as a salad or on a round of Hye Roller spread with herbed cream cheese and rolled then sliced into spirals. Also good in a hollowed out crusty roll layered with a vinaigrette,Fontina or favorite cheese,sliced tomato,ham,turkey,salami,capicola,mortadella etc. for a quasi-Muffaletta.
- You can also toss the leftovers in with some chicken stock,stewed tomatoes,white wine,basil,cabbage,carrots,and more spinach. Garnish with parmesan croustades for a sort of spin on Ribollita.
- 15 mn. prep includes cooking and draining the orzo.
This is very good. But I'm just guessing at how much lemon juice this recipe calls for. It says: " 1/4 juice and small lemon, zest." 1/4 what?
Wonderful side dish to lamb!!
Too much oil,,,too little lemon