Recipe by julimac
My version of a Whole Foods deli salad.
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
I came home from Whole Foods with a container of this salad and loved it so much I had to find a recipe. I simplified prep and more closely replicated the WF version by putting the spinach and half the oil and vinegar in a food processor and reached a loose, pesto-like consistency. I then mixed this with the rest of the ingredients and the pasta. I never missed the other 1/4 c of oil and this significantly reduces the caloric hit. Thanks for posting.
- 1 (16 ounce) packageuncooked orzo pasta
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 lb crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add orzo and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and rinse with cold water.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in spinach, feta, onion, pine nuts,olives, basil and pepper. Toss with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Refrigerate and serve cold.