Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a great side dish for any Greek dinner. Originally from an April 1980 issue of Bon Apetit. It was featured in an "Easter Feast from the Greek Islands" article featuring a menu and recipes from Theonie Diakidis Mark, who was born on the island of Rhodes. Rich, homemade chicken broth really makes this dish!
Top Review by FLYing4Me
I doubled this recipe but I did cut down on the butter and it was perfect! I also left out the green onions so picky 9 yr old would eat it. She did! Will be making this again. Thanks Leslie!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 6 green onions, white part only, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup orzo pasta
- 3⁄4 cup short-grain rice
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute until just translucent.
- Add orzo and stir until grains are golden.
- Add rice and stir about 3 minutes.
- Blend in broth and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover tightly and simmer until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.