Recipe by out of here
This is a very delicious and nice way to use orzo. I love dates, chocolate, pistachios, and especially cream.
Top Review by Trisha W
This recipe sounded so scrumptious to me that I was very excited about reviewing it. However when I started to make it, I found that it said to use egg yolks in the steps, but they were not listed in the ingredients. I spent a good bit of time researching similar recipes and decided to use 3 egg yolks, as you did use the plural word. I do not know, however, how close that was to what you intended. I also had to cook this longer than your recipe stated. I had to cook the stove top double what you indicated and the oven 15 minutes longer. We did achieve a recipe that we found very flavorful. We especially like the way the yogurt cuts the sweetness of the chocolate. I believe I would use a little less chocolate if I made it again. Also, you listed cinnamon in the ingredients, but did not tell where to add it. I whipped it in with the egg yolks - but again am not sure what you intended. If all ingredients/steps had been in, and were the way I did it I would probably have given this at least 4, perhaps 5 stars. With so much missing, I don't feel I can offer more than 3. This has lots of potential, so I look forward to seeing the recipe with your corrections.
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine orzo,water and salt in a saucepan and simmer 6 minutes.
- Add sugar and milk and bring to slow simmer over low heat; stirring occasionaly. Cook uncovered until milk is absorbed. Cool, and add dates.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Whisk 3 egg yolks with cream and vanilla, combine with cooled orzo and mix well.Turn into baking dish. Bake uncovered until the edges are set, but still creamy inside, about 35 minutes.
- While still warm, sprinkle top of pudding with chocolate and pistachio.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt.