Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This side dish goes with everything. It is simple to make and delicious! You can experiment and add different fresh herbs each time for a different taste.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli, thawed or 1 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large sauce pan, melt butter along with olive oil.
- Saute broccoli along with orzo for approximately 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes or until broth is absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
This was a fast, simple and very mild tasting side dish. I added fresh parsley and a bit of garlic powder to taste and used fresh broccoli. I served it with the Crabmeat Stuffed Tilapia Recipe and it was a perfect balance. Next time, as a change of pace, I'll substitute frozen asparagas spears for the broccoli.
Made this today with Gatorbek's Breaded and Fried Tilapia. I didn't stay exactly to the recipe. I added 1/4 cup each of finely chopped red onion and celery which I sauted with the orzo and chopped fresh broccoli and only for 5 mins. I did not add any salt as I used 1 tbsp of chicken boulion with 14 oz. of water. Only simmered for 12 mins. on med-low. Excellent starter recipe will make again.
Very tasty pilaf with the colorful (and healthy!) addition of broccoli. I used fresh broccoli, and otherwise followed the recipe directions. Very versatile side dish to go with many entrees. I served this with chicken.