Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) jar thick & chunky salsa
- 6 fluid ounces water
- 3⁄4 cup peeled shredded carrot
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- cumin, to taste (optional)
- Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add rice, onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until rice is golden.
- Stir in salsa, water, cumin, carrot and peas; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
This is very good but I think Spanish Rice would be a better name for it. It's not at all like the rice one would get in a Mexican restaurant. I added 1 clove of garlic because the recipe didn't say how much and it was fine. I also used 1/2 tsp. of cumin. Thanks for sharing.
Very tasty! I ate this with Southwest chicken that's here on the zaar and they went together so good! Curious though, I noticed in direction #2 it says something about garlic but I didn't see it in the ingredient list...was it supposed to be added?
And our daughter thought she only liked the "boxed" stuff! I'll be making this recipe from now on. I used Pace Thick and Chunky medium Salsa and added a little Mexican Cheese Mixture on each serving. Delish! Thanks for posting!