Recipe by Karen=^..^=
This came from a bottle of Ortega Taco Sauce. I have been holding onto to this little 2 by 3 inch label with the recipe on it for years, so I figured I better post it before I lose it! If I don't have taco shells, sometimes I use broken tortilla chips. I did tweak it to our tastes a bit. We really enjoy it...hope you do, too.
Top Review by Packer Backer Pammy
Hubby and I liked this for something different from the ordinary taco. We did not use chili's in ours. I would say the servings would be 4 big ones or 6 medium. I am not sure this would serve 8 people. We froze 2 containers for him to take to work for lunch. The fact it has shells right in it makes it an easier lunch for him. I ate mine as a taco salad and he ate his using taco shells to "scoop" it up with. Thanks for the recipe.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup ortega thick & smooth taco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 12 white taco shells or 12 yellow taco shells, broken,divided
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese or 8 ounces Mexican blend cheese
- chopped tomato
- sliced green onion
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeno
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Grease 11 x 7 inch baking dish.
- Cook beef and onion until beef is browned; drain.
- Stir in taco sauce, water, chiles and seasoning mix.
- Cook over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Layer half of broken shells on bottom of baking dish.
- Cover with half of meat mixture; sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.