1/1 Photo of Original Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
This recipe was found at The Prepared Pantry (http://www.preparedpantry.com/AllAboutShortcake.htm). There are great recipes there, so you should visit. But, I found this when looking for a quick and easy recipe for strawberry shortcake one day when I was out of Bisquick. However, I really just used the recipe as a guideline, and I am posting the recipe for Simple Shortcake for what I did make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or more)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter, cut into chunks
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup cream (or more)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or 1 tablespoon cream, for brushing
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 2 pints ripe strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1For the shortcake:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- 3Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- 4Cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender.
- 5Whisk the egg into the cream. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the cream mixture into the well. Mix with a fork until the ingredients just stick together.
- 6(Three Ways to Make Shortcakes. 1-Make them as drop biscuits. The dough must be moist enough to drop from a spoon and pat into a flat disc. Add more milk as needed to get the desired consistency. 2-Make them as cut-out biscuits. The dough must be slightly firm to cut into shapes on the counter. Sprinkle a little flour on the counter or add flour to the dough if needed. Don’t add so much flour that the dough is firm like sugar cookie dough. Pat the soft dough out on the counter and cut into three–inch discs. If the dough is wet and the shape is a little ragged, it’s perfect. 3-Make one large shortcake. Spread the dough into an eight-inch cake pan or nine-inch pie pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.).
- 7Brush the tops with the melted butter or cream. Sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for about fifteen minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack. Serve while still fresh and warm.
- 8Note: For the best results, always serve shortcake fresh. The dough can sit in the refrigerator for up to two hours while waiting to bake.
- 9For the strawberries: Wash and slice the strawberries. Sprinkle the strawberries with sugar and toss to coat.
- 10For the whipped cream: Combine the whipped cream, two tablespoons sugar, and the vanilla in a chilled bowl. Whip on medium speed until soft peaks form. Sweeten with the additional sugar if desired.
- 11To serve: Split the warm biscuits open. Fill with berries and whipped cream. Top with additional whipped cream and berries.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Original Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (208 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.3
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.6 g
- Saturated Fat 22.9 g
- Cholesterol 154.9 mg
- Sodium 403.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 26.7 g
- Protein 7.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: