60 hrs 25 mins
Chef Otaktay's Note:
This came from a old restaurant from the 70s-80s, but since the owner sold the company and the final one closed late 1990s:(
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs bacon (chopped)
- 8 lbs onions (diced large)
- 2 lbs carrots (peeled and sliced 1/2-inch)
- 8 garlic cloves (peeled and minced)
- 2 cups tomato paste
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 gallons dry red wine
- 2 gallons chicken stock
- 2 gallons veal stock
- 2 cups brandy
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter
- 8 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 32 veal shanks (3-inch thick)
- 1Cook the bacon until crisp, remove and drain.
- 2Sauté the onions, carrots and garlic in the bacon fat until browned, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the tomato paste and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the flour and cook over low heat stirring constantly for 5 minutes.
- 5Add the wine, and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, or until reduced by half, stirring constantly near the end of the cooking time.
- 6Add the chicken and veal stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
- 7Remove from the heat and strain through a china cap (fine meshed sieve).
- 8Mix the brandy and the cornstarch together thoroughly.
- 9Add to the sauce stirring until the sauce is thickened and smooth. Stir in the butter.
- 10Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 11Season the veal shanks with salt, pepper and oil.
- 12Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 13Place into large roasting pans and pour over sauce and cook partially covered, at 250°F for 2-3 hours or until fork tender.
- 14Remove from heat and refrigerate.
- 15Store for up to 2 days.
- 16Reheat at 350°F in sauce till hot.
Browse Our Top > 1 Day Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All > 1 Day Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Original Sicilian Pizza Company Ossobuco
Serving Size: 1 (5511 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4963.3
- Calories from Fat 1804
- Total Fat 200.5 g
- Saturated Fat 73.3 g
- Cholesterol 333.9 mg
- Sodium 5939.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 274.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.4 g
- Sugars 107.2 g
- Protein 93.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: