1/2 Photos of Original Psycho Chicken
2 hrs 10 mins
This recipe is simply something I threw together one night. After posting it on Cooking Light's bulletin board it became such an enormous success, it was suggested I submit my recipe to the magazine. Cooking Light's version of Psycho Chicken appeared as the Featured Reader Recipe in the June, 2002 issue-- and while I was grateful to have been spotlighted, I couldn't help feeling that the published rendition lost something of the original spirit of the recipe. Psycho Chicken is less about ingredients than it is a technique-- it is about a slashing and slathering method of infusing flavor into the chicken, then dredging the meat in the juices after cooking. Play with the quantities of flavorings, change herbs, don't even worry about whether you use a rack. But use the method. Please. THAT'S what Psycho Chick is all about.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- 2Clean chicken and remove giblets.
- 3Hack chicken all over with the tip of a sharp chef's knife to make gashes.
- 4In a small bowl, mix together thyme, garlic, salt, pepper and vinegar, and slather liberally on chicken, taking care that mixture gets into slits in the meat.
- 5Place chicken on rack in roasting pan and roast about 2 hours until golden and fragrant, basting every twenty or thirty minutes with a splash of wine and any juices in the pan.
- 6Now this is the crucial part, which will make or break the entire dish: If this is cooked properly, your chicken should be running with wonderful juices as you carve.
- 7Dredge each slice of carved meat in those juices before placing on platter-- the juices are loaded with garlic and herb flavor.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Original Psycho Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (346 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 439.1
- Calories from Fat 262
- Total Fat 29.1 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 144.9 mg
- Sodium 137.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 36.1 g