Recipe by ameatlanta
My mother made this recipe or some variation of it for over 60yrs. once a week. When I was in college my weekly "care package" always included this cake. In her letter she always included the same note:"be sure to share, I don't want you wearing these pounds home." I made a lot of friends from this treasure. Don't forget to have a "toasted pound" for breakfast. ummm! 1#butter, 1#flour, 1#sugar, reason for name. If recipe has mace in it, count on it coming from Low Country in S.C.
- 1 lb sugar (2 cups)
- 1 lb butter, room temp.
- 1 lb flour, sifted with salt ((4 cups before sifting)
- 1 dozen egg (12-10 depends how hen is laying today!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- In mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add 1 egg at a time, beating after each.
- Gradually add sifted flour, 1/2 cup at a time, til all blended.
- Add lemon juice and lemon rind, blend inches.
- Pour into a buttered and floured tube pan.
- Bake 1hr 15mins to 1hr 30mins; Til toothpick in center comes out clean.