Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My mother made this recipe or some variation of it for over 60yrs. once a week. When I was in college my weekly "care package" always included this cake. In her letter she always included the same note:"be sure to share, I don't want you wearing these pounds home." I made a lot of friends from this treasure. Don't forget to have a "toasted pound" for breakfast. ummm! 1#butter, 1#flour, 1#sugar, reason for name. If recipe has mace in it, count on it coming from Low Country in S.C.
- 1 lb sugar (2 cups)
- 1 lb butter, room temp.
- 1 lb flour, sifted with salt ((4 cups before sifting)
- 1 dozen egg (12-10 depends how hen is laying today!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- In mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add 1 egg at a time, beating after each.
- Gradually add sifted flour, 1/2 cup at a time, til all blended.
- Add lemon juice and lemon rind, blend inches.
- Pour into a buttered and floured tube pan.
- Bake 1hr 15mins to 1hr 30mins; Til toothpick in center comes out clean.
Excellent! Wonderful texture and great flavor! Thank you.
Excellent recipe! Flavor and texture perfect. As to the reviewer who thought it was too sour, the error had to be hers. It needs to be fresh squeezed lemon juice, only way this could be sour is if she used "Real Lemon Juice" concentrate from a bottle.
I did everting put it came out to sour :(