Recipe by s'kat
Posted in response to my own request. :) This is said to be the best and only banana pudding you should make! courtesy Nabisco.
Top Review by Bev
s'kat, this is my favorite Banana Pudding of all time! I love this recipe and have been making it for years and years. It is relatively simple to prepare and it is so very delicious! Make exactly as the recipe indicates and you can't go wrong! Thanks for posting it, s'kat!
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 dash salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 45 vanilla wafers, divided
- 5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3-1/2 cups)
Directions See How It's Made
- MIX 1/2 cup of the sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk.
- Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- RESERVE 10 of the wafers for garnish.
- Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1-1/2-quart baking dish; cover with layers of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers and sliced bananas.
- Pour about 1/3 of the remaining custard over bananas.
- Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
- BEAT egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff but not dry.
- Spoon over custard; spread evenly to cover entire surface of custard and sealing well to edge.
- BAKE at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool slightly or refrigerate several hours until chilled.
- Top with reserved wafers just before serving.
- Garnish with additional banana slices, if desired.