Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is posted for ZWT II - Asia taken from an Asian Food web site. The vanilla in this recipe can be substituted with lemon essence or peppermint.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can condensed milk
- 1 pint milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Put sugar and water in a saucepan. Caramelize on high heat. Line loaf tin with caramel. Be sure to line the sides of the pan.
- Blend all ingredients in a blender. Pour mixture into caramel lined loaf pan.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Place tin in a larger baking pan half filled with water. Place pan in pre-heated oven at 375 degrees, and bake flan for about 1 hour or until firm.
- Place serving dish over top of loaf pan, and invert. Flan will easily plate, and the caramel provides a wonderful sauce.
This is the closest to my Tita Garnette's recipe I have seen. All the ingredients are basically the same and in the same proportion. The biggest thing I do differently is that I hand stir the custard mix and I do it very gently. I avoid frothy bubbles as much as possible. I also pour the custard mix through a strainer as it goes into the pan. This is the trick to make a very creamy flan. Air bubbles will change the texture and mouth feel of the flan.
this turned out so good, you have to have sweet tooth for this, now I'm going to wait for my DS's Philippino GF to taste this and give it the thumbs up, my review is 5 stars all the way, thank you for sharing this Char, I made this for KK's Chef's Pick forum game
My son and I made this together. Yummy! We will make this again for sure.