Recipe by Recipe USA
I've been making this for years - it's a family favorite and is classified as Tex-Mex. There are many variations of the original recipe - I've also tried to include some of those variations or options in my recipe. Although, I, personally, believe the original is the best.
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel diced tomatoes (with green chilies)
- 1 cup chicken broth (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper
- 16 ounces monterey jack cheese
- 1 whole chicken
- 12 corn tortillas (or flour, your preference)
- tortilla chips (optional choice for variation)
- noodles (optional choice for variation)
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Boil chicken, remove meat from skin and bones. (save broth).
- 2. Sometimes I will use 6-8 chicken breasts instead of whole chicken when I'm in a hurry.
- 3. Saute onions and green pepper.
- 4. Mix with soups, tomatoes, cubed chicken, and chicken broth.
- 5. Line bottom of Pyrex casserole with six corn tortillas.
- 6. Add 1/2 of chicken/soup mixture; spread over tortillas. Sprinkle grated cheese over mixture.
- 7. Then make another layer of six tortillas, chicken/soup mixture, and cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 250-300 F 1 hour until cheese is bubbly.
- 8. Please note that you can make this recipe much lower in fat by using the fat free soups and fat free chicken broth. It turns out just as tasty.
- 9. I've also substituted Cheddar Cheese, as well as Lite Velveeta in place of the Monterey Jack cheese and it was all good.
- 10. The original recipe uses corn tortillas, although some people prefer the flour. I believe the corn gives it a better flavor myself. For variety, you can also omit the tortillas and use tortilla chips, or even noodles/pasta, in their place. At one time or another, I've tried every variation - they are all good, although I am partial to the corn tortillas.
- 11. Adding a can of black beans or corn, also takes it to another level and adding a few slicked black olives and a dollop of sour cream before serving makes a nice presentation.