Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fantastic coney sauce recipe! This recipe is from the kitchen of Kevin Taylor, the BBQ GURU. This freezes well.
- 1 lb ground beef, soak in water for 2 hours
- 1 cup shortening (the 1 cup of shortening is NOT a misprint)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- To get the right consistency, cover the meat with water and soak, in the fridge, for 2 hours.
- Then take a fork and break up any remaining chunks.
- Drain the water and go on to browning.
- You will have some water while browning but it will slowly steam off.
- Brown beef, onion and shortening.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- You may have to add some water.