Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
This recipe was used by the Girl Scouts of Philadelphia in the early 1930’s who baked their own cookies to be sold at the first cookie sale. Girl Scouts in Uniform were seen in the window of the Philadelphia Gas Company preparing these cookies for baking.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and flour which have been sifted together with the baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Roll out fairly thin and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350º for 6-8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with sugar which is optional.
I didn't really like it. The dough was very, very soft. I usually freeze the dough between wax paper for the cutting, and it was always softening within seconds of taking it out of the freezer. The taste wasn't that great. I mean, in the 30s they were probably excellent. But there are much better shortbread recipes out there.