Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Coney chili sauce
- ground chuck
- 1⁄3 lb pepperoni, finely ground (this can be easily done in a food processor)
- 3 tablespoons white onions, grated on microplane
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 16 ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke flavoring
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup v 8 juice
- 1⁄4 cup finely ground cornmeal
- Brown ground chuck in a skillet. Drain approximately half the residual oil. Add ground pepperoni and grated onion and brown for another minute or two.
- combine in kosher salt, brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, celery seed, cayenne and combine to meat mixture.
- Reduce heat and add tomato paste, liquid smoke and V8 juice and bring to a simmer.
- When chili has come to a low bubbling simmer, add cornmeal and cook low and slow for another 15 minutes.
- Ladle over hotdogs or grilled burgers. This is a welcome sauce for grated sharp cheddar cheese and minced onions, but a true Coney Dog uses classic yellow mustard and a sprinkling of onions.