Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on the classic recipe, this hearty beef dish is packed with flavour from garlic and onion to thyme and paprika.
For the stroganoff
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 5 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces filet of beef
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 5 tablespoons beef stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
For the rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Place 2oz of the butter and 1tbsp of olive oil into a pan and melt over a low heat.
- Add the diced carrot and onion and cook for 3-4 mins to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes Add the mushrooms and cook gently for a further 5 minutes
- Finely slice the beef into finger-sized slithers. Mix with the ground paprika and stir fry in a separate pan over a high heat in the remaining oil for 2 mins to seal and brown.
- Add half the beef stock and lemon juice to the beef and bring to a simmer. Add the vegetables to the pan, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the remaining butter and stir in the cream. Bring up to simmering point but do not allow to boil. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, place the rice and water in a medium sized pan. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed then add the butter.
- To serve, divide the rice between two serving plates and spoon over the stroganoff.