Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Based on the classic recipe, this hearty beef dish is packed with flavour from garlic and onion to thyme and paprika.
For the stroganoff
- 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 5 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces filet of beef
- 1 tablespoon mild paprika
- 5 tablespoons beef stock
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
For the rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 pinch salt
- Place 2oz of the butter and 1tbsp of olive oil into a pan and melt over a low heat.
- Add the diced carrot and onion and cook for 3-4 mins to soften. Add the garlic and cook for a further 1-2 minutes Add the mushrooms and cook gently for a further 5 minutes
- Finely slice the beef into finger-sized slithers. Mix with the ground paprika and stir fry in a separate pan over a high heat in the remaining oil for 2 mins to seal and brown.
- Add half the beef stock and lemon juice to the beef and bring to a simmer. Add the vegetables to the pan, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes
- Add the remaining butter and stir in the cream. Bring up to simmering point but do not allow to boil. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, place the rice and water in a medium sized pan. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover and cook until all the liquid has been absorbed then add the butter.
- To serve, divide the rice between two serving plates and spoon over the stroganoff.