Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Not sure who gave me this recipe as I have had it for many years. This is a wonderful soup and great comfort food as well.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 cups chicken broth (room temp.)
- 4 cups milk (room temp.)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt & pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- Melt butter in heavy saucepan. Saute' vegetables until tender.
- Stir in flour and cornstarch. Cook until bubbly.
- Add stock and milk gradually;
- blending into smooth sauce.
- Add soda and cheese cubes; stir until
- Season with salt & pepper; add parsley.
- Before serving,heat thoroughly in double boiler. DO NOT LET BOIL.
- Garnish with paprika.
- Serve and enjoy!
This recipe is missing 1/2 cup of flour to be added to the pan of sautéed vegetables with the cornstarch.
This soup was gross. I was very excited because i love velveeta cheese, but this soup turned out runny and flavorless.
I was disapointed in this, but I'm not going to rate it because I think the recipe might be incomplete - the soup came out very thin, not what I was hoping for at all - however, the instructions refer to adding the cornstarch and flour, but the ingredient list doesn't mention flour. :(