Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The idea for this quick, easy and healthy vegetarian dish comes from tartex vegetable spreads. Ive modified it quite a bit to suit what I had in my pantry and hope youll like the result. Feel free to use different veggies and spices.
- 4 sheets frozen puff pastry (about 4X6 inches each)
- 200 frozen mixed vegetables (I used corn, peas and carrots)
- 80 g hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon water, for glueing the pastry together
- 1 -2 tablespoon plain yogurt for the glaze
- Place puff pastry sheets on a paper-lined baking sheet and allow to thaw until pliable (depends on your brand of puff pastry, mine took 5 minutes). Roll out each piece to make it slightly bigger.
- Cook your frozen mixed veggies according to package directions and drain well.
- Mix veggies, hummus and spices in a bowl.
- Place about 2 heaping tbs of the veggie mix on the bottom part of each pastry sheet leaving a space around the edges. Using a brush or your fingers apply some water to the edges of each pastry sheet and fold down the top to make a pocket enclosing the filling.
- Now spread some yogurt (about 1/4-1/2 tbs) on each pastie as a glaze.
- Place in the pre-heated oven and bake at 200°C/400°F for 15 minutes or until puffy and brown on top.
These are fantastic! I didn't even get to try one myself. DD had eaten them all by the time I got home from work and she's very discriminating about food. I'll be making this again tomorrow!