Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Since my DH does not eat tomatoes I am always on the lookout for a different take on a midweek meal. I usually have meatballs prepared in the freezer so that I can take out how many we need and vary the sauces each time. This is one of my childrens favourite. However, this is the meatballs and sauce from the beginning. Enjoy.
- 1 onion
- 2 ounces butter or 2 ounces margarine
- 1 lb mincemeat
- 2 ounces breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 red pepper (capsicum)
- 1 green pepper (capsicum)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1⁄4 pint orange juice
- 1⁄4 pint chicken stock or 1⁄4 pint beef stock
- cornflour, to thicken sauce
- Chop onion and soften gently in margarine/butter in frying pan or microwave and let cool slightly.
- Mix together meat, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire sauce. egg and onions.
- Make in balls, size to suit your needs.
- When I brown these prior to cooking in sauce, I usually deep fry as it take no time at all.
- Put into ovenproof dish.
- To make sauce.
- Mix all ingredients together! Simple as that.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Chop peppers into bite size pieces and add.
- Cover with lid and cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 180ºC.
- When cooked drain off sauce and thicken with cornflour, ready for serving.
- I serve this with rice, or noodles and a green salad.
Spring PAC 2009: Delicious!! Perfect combo of sweet/sour! Served with Chili Garlic Broccoli