Recipe by jkoch960
I am a big fan of asian flavoring so this recipe jumped out at me. I have not tried it yet but plan to soon.
Top Review by LARavenscroft
Made for 1~2~3 Hits. This was outstanding! I was a little skeptical of using tomato sauce in an oriental-style dish, but this recipe proved me wrong. Served it to company and they loved it. I did have an issue with the sauce not getting thick so I did stick my crock in the microwave with additional cornstarch and water to thicken the sauce. Thanks for posting this jkoch! Will make this again.
- 2 lbs boneless beef top round steaks, cut into 3-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) jarsliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides. Transfer meat and drippings to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Combine the onion, celery, soy sauce, sugar, salt, garlic, ginger and pepper; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 5-1/2 to 6 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add green peppers, tomato sauce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts and mushrooms; cover and cook on low 1 hour longer.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into beef mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with rice.