Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Fantastically quick and easy, this tom yum-style soup makes a great starter to a Southeast Asian meal.
- 2 tablespoons tom yum paste
- 4 tablespoons gingerroot, shredded
- 1 red chile
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 8 ounces fine rice noodles
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, divided into stalks and leaves
- 1 leaf lime
- 6 raw jumbo shrimp, heads on, peeled
- 6 scallops, shelled
- 1 lime, juice of, only
- In a large saucepan bring 4 1/4 cups of water to the boil. Stir in 2 tablespoons of tom yum paste until dissolved. Add 2 tablespoons of shredded ginger, the chili and the lemon grass. Simmer for 5 minutes over a low heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a separate large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the noodles and cook until tender, around 2-3 minutes. Drain the noodles and place them in a deep serving bowl.