I love surf 'n' turf, so when I found this recipe I tried it right away. We all really liked it (and I'm always looking for recipes that can be grilled outside, so I don't have to use the oven during hot Florida days). This is good served with corn on the cob, a green salad and garlic bread. Cooking time does not include marinating time. Enjoy!
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope herb with garlic soup mix or 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 lb uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb boneless sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups mushroom caps
- 1 medium green bell peppers or 2 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- In a 13x9-inch glass baking dish, blend soup mix, soy sauce, lemon juice, oil and honey; set aside. On skewers, alternately thread shrimp, steak, tomatoes, mushrooms and green pepper or zucchini.
- Add prepared skewers to baking dish and turn to coat. Cover and marinate in refrigerator for 2-3 hours, turning skewers occasionally.
- Remove prepared skewers, reserving marinade. Grill or broil, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade until shrimp turn pink and steak is done, approximately 6-8 minutes, checking meat often as it can overcook quickly. Do not brush with marinade during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- NOTE: I usually saute the mushroom caps in a little butter very slightly --no more than 2 minutes-- at medium-low heat so they are a little softer and have a richer flavor when they come off the grill, but the recipe also tastes good without this step.).