Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this at a pot luck. It goes really well with beef and pork but is good with chicken too. I have also made this with just spinach or romaine.
- 1 bunch spinach
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1 can chopped and drained water chestnut
- 3⁄4 cup bacon (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash lettuce and toss with sprouts, water chestnuts and bacon.
- In a small bowl mix the ingredients for the dressing.
- Add to lettuce mixture just before serving and toss.
Made this for PAC Sprg. 07. Delicious! cut back on the bean sprouts and sugar in the Dressing. The Dressing is a wonderful compliment to the GREENS. Thanks for posting.
I made this with only Romaine lettuce and it turned out quite nicely. I should have cut back on the bean sprouts though because they overpowered the lettuce. The dressing worked really well with this combination. Next time I'll use the full amount of bacon because those bites were very yummy! If someone is going to make this recipe as directed, I would suggest doubling the dressing because I don't think this would be enough for all those greens (unless you like it really light). Thanks for posting this!