Recipe by Cathie H.
I had this salad at a summer pot luck picnic. To my delight, it was delicious and has since become one of my favorites. This non traditional salad recipe has been given out to my company more times than I can count. It is great for a pot luck, as you can almost be assured that there will not be doubles.
Top Review by Sherrybeth
This recipe was very good; however, I found that mine was just a little too oily with the 1/2 cup of salad oil. I will reduce it to 1/3 next time. I used 1 1/2 cups of salad shrimp instead of the canned shrimp and was very pleased with the results.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked rice, according to directions
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced ham or 1 (6 ounce) can small shrimp
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar (or 2 Splenda quick packs)
- 1⁄4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Accent seasoning, if desired (msg)
Directions See How It's Made
- Be careful not to overcook rice.
- I have used both minute rice and long grain.
- Toss salad ingredients together and refrigerate long enough to let peas thaw.
- Beginning with salad oil ingredient, mix all dressing ingredients and let sit for an hour at room temperature or longer.
- Stir dressing well and dress salad just before serving, mix well.
- Serve cold.