Found in a German organic food magazin called "Schrot und Korn". Haven't tried it yet.
Make and share this Oriental Rice Pudding With Rhubarb recipe from Food.com.
- 6 figs, dried
- 1 vanilla bean
- 6 1⁄2 ounces short-grain rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cardamom pod
- 1 dash saffron
- 1 dash salt
- 3⁄4 ounce brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon peel
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 1 3⁄4 ounces brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1 ounce pistachios, toasted
- mint leaf, for decoration
- Chop dried figs and soak in tepid water.
- Scrape seeds from vanilla bean and bring with the milk, vanilla bean, cardamom pod, saffron and salt to a boil.
- Add rice, cook covered at low heat for about 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more milk if necessary.
- Cut rhubarb into 1 1/2'' pieces. Bring 1 cup water with sugar and cinnamon stick to a boil, add rhubarb and cook about 4-6 minutes so that the rhubarb gets soft but does not fall apart.
- Remove rhubarb from water and place in a bowl.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Boil liquid until slightly syrupy, add lemon juice and pour over rhubarb. let cool.
- Remove cardamom pod and vanilla bean from milk rice, add sugar, drained figs and lemon peel.
- Fill into 4 serving bowls, top with rhubarb compote, sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped pistachios and garnish with mint leaves.