Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Quick and Easy substitution for the boxed stuff you get at the store. If you want a lower sodium version use Substitute for 1 Envelope Onion Soup Mix for the onion soup mix.
- Brown ground beef or turkey. Drain fat if needed.
- Add water, soy sauce, onion, garlic, rice, pepper and soup mix.
- Bring to a boil. After a boil has been reached, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook on low for 20 minutes. Uncover, stir and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Add vegetables during last 5 minutes of cooking time.
This was tasty and quite quick to make. I reduced the soy sauce to 3 tbsp, the pepper to 1/4 tsp, and used 2 cloves garlic. I used a Dutch Oven to prepare this and it worked fine. Will make this again. Thanx!
Having been raised on health foods, I was never much for boxed or prepared foods. But back in the day, my aunt used to make this and I really liked it. However, she jazzed it up with canned button mushrooms and salt free cashews. The canned Asian veggies is a nice touch. I also cut in 1/2 the salt, used a thin teriyaki sauce and pickled ginger - like the Beef Bowl chain does in California (they use very thinly sliced and marinated beef or chicken). That was the closest I got to the HH Oriental Rice. Rather than the potent onion soup mix, you can also sub with beef broth or bouillon and dried onion flakes.
I think this was better than the original. The only thing I would say is that I'm fairly sure there shouldn't be 1 TABLESPONN black pepper in this recipe. That was a bit overpowering. I bet 1 teaspoon of black pepper would provide the correct flavor without the "In-your-face" pepper taste.