Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
My Grandad and mom used to make this all the time when I was younger...not sure where the original recipe came from but it's very yummy and you can add so much to jazz it up. Jasmine rice is a MUST, some reason any other rice will not cook all the way. You can half, double or triple as needed. My picky 4 y/o loves this! Very easy to make and ready to eat in no time and freezes well.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup jasmine rice (uncooked)
- 10 1⁄2 ounces French onion soup (any brand)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (whichever kind you like...retain juice)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (or to taste)
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional)
- 15 ounces peas and carrots (optional)
- 1 -3 lb cooked chicken (optional) or 1 -3 lb cooked pork, cut into cubes (optional)
- Melt butter then add rice and mushrooms (peas w/ carrots if used) brown for 10 minutes. Add mushroom juice and soup (eggs, chicken or pork if used) and soy sauce, bring to a boil then simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes or until rice is done.