Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a very tasty, quick and easy recipe to throw together. I serve it in iceberg lettuce leaves as a great low carb meal, but if prefer carbs it is great served with noodles.
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350 g pork mince
- 300 g veal mince
- 50 ml soy sauce (low sodium works best with this but regular is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup oyster sauce
- 1⁄4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 red capsicum, finely chopped
- 300 g bean sprouts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- 8 leaves iceberg lettuce
- Heat oil in a pan or wok, stir-fry onion and garlic until onion is soft, add both minces and stir-fry until cooked through.
- Add capsicum and sauces, reduce to a simmer, cook uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 4-5 Min’s.
- Add sprouts and cook until they soften slightly but are still crunchy, stir in green onions and seeds.
- Divide lettuce leaves among plates and spoon pork mixture into leaves.
- Tip: After removing outer dead leaves, cut the end off lettuce and hold under cold running water, the leaves will fall off one by one, intact.
what fun!!! i had 1lb packages of ground pork and ground chicken (instead of veal) so i sort of adjusted accordingly. I used 2 bell peppers & 2 cans of bean sprouts since i couldn't get fresh. :(dh's comment was that he usually doesn't like lettuce wraps but loved this. THERE WERE NO LEFTOVERS!! My wok was full....2lbs of meat plus all the other stuff....GONE. I think that says it all. ;) absolutely delicious! thank you! made for Aussie Swap 7/11.
I changed this alot so not sure if I should even rate this. I used all ground turkey as I couldn't find veal and I don't trust pork. I also do not care for oyster sauce so I used all hoisin sauce. I love bok choy so added some chopped. I also added some chopped carrot for sweetness since I didn't have red pepper. My family doesn't care for bean sprouts so I used water chestnuts, diced. I also added a hand full of cabbage slaw mix that I had left over from another night. Everything else I followed to a T LOL. We found this to be a nice meal on a hot day. I liked the iceberg lettuce for this as I found the leaves easy to work with. Its also an inexpensive lettuce option which is also nice. I also found that I didn't need an aditional dipping sauce as I have in the past with similar recipes. Looking forward to this for lunch 2morrow over whole wheat pasta. Thanks for posting. Next time I'll remember the red pepper as I am sure its great in this. I think I will also add some chinese mushrooms to try to take the place of the oyster sauce. The best thing about these types of meals is that you can make it every night of the week and it can be different each time. Thanks again.