Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From a ground beef cookbook circa 1980 that I picked up at a garage sale. This is an interesting salad, very flavorful and colorful. Cooking time does not inclue chilling time.
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- shredded lettuce, for serving
- rice noodles (optional) or chow mein noodles (optional)
- In a large bowl combine eggs and milk.
- Stir in bread crumbs.
- Add beef and mix gently.
- Shape into 3/4 inch meatballs.
- In skillet cook meatballs in oil about 10 minutes or until done.
- Turn frequently.
- Drain pineapple and reserve juice.
- Add water to juice to make ¾ cup liquid.
- In bowl combine pineapple chunks, green pepper, carrot, celery and meatballs.
- In small saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch.
- Stir in the pineapple liquid, wine, vinegar and soy sauce.
- Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Pour hot dressing over meatball mixture.
- Cover and chill.
- To serve carefully stir tomato wedges into meatballs (or reserve tomatoes for garnish around salad).
- Place shredded lettuce on each of 4 serving plates.
- Carefully spoon meatball mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with rice or chow mein noodles if desired.