From a ground beef cookbook circa 1980 that I picked up at a garage sale. This is an interesting salad, very flavorful and colorful. Cooking time does not inclue chilling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- shredded lettuce, for serving
- rice noodles (optional) or chow mein noodles (optional)
- 1In a large bowl combine eggs and milk.
- 2Stir in bread crumbs.
- 3Add beef and mix gently.
- 4Shape into 3/4 inch meatballs.
- 5In skillet cook meatballs in oil about 10 minutes or until done.
- 6Turn frequently.
- 8Drain pineapple and reserve juice.
- 9Add water to juice to make ¾ cup liquid.
- 10In bowl combine pineapple chunks, green pepper, carrot, celery and meatballs.
- 11In small saucepan combine brown sugar, cornstarch.
- 12Stir in the pineapple liquid, wine, vinegar and soy sauce.
- 13Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- 14Pour hot dressing over meatball mixture.
- 15Cover and chill.
- 16To serve carefully stir tomato wedges into meatballs (or reserve tomatoes for garnish around salad).
- 17Place shredded lettuce on each of 4 serving plates.
- 18Carefully spoon meatball mixture on top.
- 19Sprinkle with rice or chow mein noodles if desired.
Browse Our Top Pineapple Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Oriental Meatball Salad
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 676.3
- Calories from Fat 260
- Total Fat 28.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 912.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 41.5 g
- Protein 30.4 g