Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my sisters recipes that we all enjoy. The sauce is great. Prep time does not include letting it stand overnight. Estimated serving sizes.
- 3 lbs chicken wings
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine everything except chicken wings in a heavy sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Pour over chicken wings coating each wing well. (I use a zip lock bag to store in the frig and turn it frequently).
- Let stand in the frig overnight.
- Preheat over to 350°F.
- Place chicken wings on an aluminum foil lined baking dish with sauce and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes turning often, brushing with sauce.
- The sauce will caramelize. It is best when using only the drum stick of the wing.
- (If you prefer, use half of the sauce to marinade the chicken reserving half for basting. I've used both methods and it works well).
Nimzie ~~ these are fabulous!! I used them for a party of teens hanging out at my house and they were devoured. I love how the coating really bakes nicely onto the wings and drummettes. I had 5 lbs of chicken and the sauce did a good job coating them all. I love the flavor of these and they have already been requested at my son's birthday this weekend. :) Thanks for sharing in the Went to the Market tag game.
These wings are SO good. I often make Buffalo wings, but after trying these we now have a new favorite. They are sweet and tangy, and the marinade is just perfect. I cut fresh wings into drumette and wing portions and baked them on separate sheets in case the wing sections cooked quicker. However, they were all done at the same time so I'll make them in the same baking sheet now. I tasted the sauce before putting it in a freezer bag with the chicken to marinate; it was so great that I made another batch to serve as a dipping sauce with the chicken. This is one of those "best of the best" recipes and I know it will get rave reviews from everyone I make it for!
5 stars Nimzy for the wonderful tasting oriental type wings. I should say strips as that is what I used in place of. Marinated for 10 hours and put in the oven for about 45 minutes. Perfect. The glaze does carmelize up nicely as a coating and made the whole house smell wonderfu. Even cooking the marinade first thing in the a.m. got my taste buds going. Always looking for recipes where I can incorporate some oriental flavor!! This fit the bill nicely~ Made for PetParades-Pay-it-forward!