Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
This is from the Weekend magazine's FOOD column titled "Pure and simple" (Jan 30'04 issue). Hope you enjoy it!
- 600 g filet of beef, trimmed
For the marinade
- 200 ml vegetable oil
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 60 ml oyster sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled,washed and crushed
- 15 g fresh coriander leaves, washed and chopped
- 2 red chilies, split,de-seeded and roughly chopped
- 20 ml sesame oil
- 1 cucumber, peeled,split lengthways and de-seeded
- 40 g mixed herbs (chervil, tarragon, chives and flat leaf parsley)
- 250 g salad leaves
- 1 ripe avocado
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 20 g bean sprouts
For the dressing
- 80 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- black pepper
- Pre heat oven to 180C.
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade together.
- Roll the trimmed beef in it.
- Allow to marinate for 1-2 hours.
- Turn it over every 15 minutes.
- Slice the cucumber very thinly.
- Split the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Remove the beef from the marinade.
- Wipe all the ingredients off the beef.
- Heat a grill pan.
- Add a tbsp.
- of vegetable oil.
- Grill the beef on all sides.
- Roast in it your oven as you desire.
- Take a bowl and in it mix all the ingredients, except the avocado, together for the salad.
- Add the dressing.
- Mix well.
- Allow the beef to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Mix the salad and dressing together and season.
- Arrange the salad on to the plate.
- Slice the avocado lengthwise.
- Lay some pieces on to the salad.
- Arrange the warm beef next to it.
- Serve and enjoy!
- COOKING TIP: Sealing meat in a very hot grill pan prior to roasting will make sure it remains juicy.
- Always use your fingers or a palette knife or tongs to turn the meat.
- Never use a fork as it will pierce the meat and result in leaking out of its juices.